Computer viruses can affect businesses and organizations in many ways. Research says that 74% of companies are attacked each month by at least one virus. A survey in 2006 said that Americans lost $8 billion due to computer viruses, spyware and phishing scams in the previous two years to the survey.
What Computer Viruses can Do
Computer viruses can:
- slow down your computer thus impeding work
- corrupt filesystesms and files thus losing work
- cause programmes to run in a faulty manner
- damage a boot sector of a computer and prevent it from booting
- steal information from your computer
- wipe a hard disk drive clean
- encrypt a computer's hard drive
What Cost Computer Viruses Can Have
The impact on businesses is :
- loss of work time for employees who cannot access their computer
- loss of worktime during the downtime it takes to clean up the computer virus and for the expertise necessary to clean up the virus
- loss of data could result in high costs to recover destroyed data especially if there are no backups
So, it's better to be proactive than reactive and wait until a virus has done its damage. Contact us now for help with virus protection.